Mission involves the development of the church and to help people find faith locally and globaly.
In the past Mission was frequently associated in particular with two aspects of the Church's work.
- A campaign which was part of the ongoing work in the life of the local church.
- The Overseas or Foreign Mission of the Church.
Such understandings had their value but Mission is a much wider concept than both of these. Christian Mission always needs to be expressed within the wider world context and this includes a commitment to the World Church in a spirit of sharing and receiving, both ‘here and there'.
John Wesley led the way for Methodist people and others when he declared that: ‘The World is my Parish.'
The Methodist Church in Ireland's key Mission areas are:
- Home Mission - Home Mission supports the worship and organisation of local churches and circuits
- City Missions - City Missions are visible expressions of social and communtiy concerns.
- Methodist Missionary Society - The Methodist Missionary Society (Ireland) engages in partnership world mission.
- World Development and Relief - The World Development and Relief Committee allocates funds to development projects.
- Irish Methodist Youth and Children's Department (IMYCD) - The IMYCD is an Ireland agency, supporting work with children, teenagers and youth leaders.
- Methodist Women in Ireland (MWI) - The MWI links together all the women's groups within the Methodist Church in Ireland
- Inter-Faith Relations