The WFM&UCW in Ireland are now inviting applications from young women (18 - 30 by August 2016) for the next five year Helen Kim Memorial Scholarship from 2016 - 2021. See below for details:
The Ireland Unit of the World Federation of Methodist and Uniting Church Women are seeking to appoint a Helen Kim Memorial Scholar for the quinquennium 2016-2021.
The Helen Kim Memorial Scholar should be:
- aged between 18 and 30 years at the time of the World Federation World Assembly in August 2016;
- a committed member of a Methodist Church;
- involved in women’s issues and/or church work;
- a person who has shown leadership abilities;
- able to state ways in which she would be able to share her newly acquired skills;
- nominated by a member of the Ireland World Federation Unit;
- endorsed by her minister and Unit President.
The Aim of the Helen Kim Memorial Scholarship Programme is: “For younger women to be informed about Helen Kim, the founder of the WFMUCW and the difference that this organisation has made in the lives of millions of other women.”
During the Programme each of the Scholars will:
- become familiar with World Federation aims and objectives, and the programmes carried out by its members and officers.
- discover how World Federation is in involved in people’s everyday situations.
- share their own background and experience with the other scholars.
- personally discover what it means ‘To Know Christ and to make him known’.
- discover their own and each other’s gifts, graces and potential
- assess what the emerging issues are in their context, and how these issues affect the women of their own region.
- describe their own understanding of ‘leadership’ within their own context.
- reaffirm their personal commitment in response to their faith in God, and all of God’s people.
- describe what is ‘God’s Kingdom’ in today’s context in relation to their lives as individuals and a group.
- establish a covenant relationship within the group.
- nominate a convenor for future contact with the world officers of the succeeding quinquennium, and agree effective and realistic ways of networking following the Assembly, including communicating regularly with an appointed member of the Executive Committee during the quinquennium 2016-2021.
- become involved in the life and activities of the World Assembly, and participate in their own Area Meetings and Presentations.
- participate as fully as possible in the variety of activities of the World Assembly in order to experience its breadth of global and gospel concerns.
- do all within their power to raise funds to attend the next Area Seminar.
If you are interested in applying for this exciting opportunity to serve God, please email Sandra Dickson at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and an application form.
This program is named in honor of Helen Kim, a young Korean woman who had a noble, Christ-inspired vision of a world sisterhood. She dreamt of a time when women would work together "to promote peace and better conditions in the whole world." It is also to inspire young women with vision of a world where there is hope for the hopeless; security for the insecure; sufficient for the impoverished; freedom for the oppressed; and a voice for the voiceless.